Oceanview had its start on March 5, 1978 in the home of Pastor Vic Nordstrom under the name of Ladysmith Fellowship Baptist Church (which is still our legal name.) There were 18 present at that first meeting with people coming from Ladysmith, Departure Bay Baptist (Nanaimo) and Bethel Baptist in Duncan. The congregation continued meeting in the house of Pastor Nordstrom until September, 1979. At that time, the church moved Sunday services to the Native Sons' and Daughters Hall (now the Eagles Hall in Ladysmith). In 1979, the property for the new church building was purchased. The sign for the building construction was erected on January 1, 1980, and the groundbreaking took place that spring. The work, largely voluntary, was close to completion when the first service was held in the new building on Easter Sunday, April 19, 1981 and the building formally dedicated May 1981.
The young work grew steadily. There was a Sunday school, youth program, girls and boys programs, Sunday School picnics, Sunday School Christmas musicals, etc. In the summer of 1986, construction started for a new CE wing. One of the problems we had was room for the SS classes. Finances were tight, but one of the couples said that they had $10,000.00; to go ahead and if the church ran into debt, they could use it. The whole CE wing was built with no debt. By the time the bills arrived, money was available. It was the building that Faith built. As the CE wing was nearing completion, work carried on for the new sanctuary in the summer of 1987.
There were many relationships and memories as volunteers both old and young came everyday to work alongside the contractor. The couple's $10,000.00 was finally used to put the drywall on the new Sanctuary. The new building was dedicated September 11, 1988.
Here are some significant events from the history of Oceanview Community Church (formally Ladysmith Fellowship Baptist Church).
- 1978-1981: Pastor Vic Nordstrom. Services held in the Pastor's home.
- 1981 -1993: Pastor Bob Roth. An AWANA ministry started in the early 1990s, running for 12 years. The mortgage was burned after a morning service on May 16, 1993.
- 1988 - 1994: Pastor Ivan Johnson (lay leader serving as part time associate with Pastor Bob, then as our interim. Stayed on as lay leader for many years.)
- 1994 - 1999: Pastor Bruce Moir. Started a Hospital Ministry and Small Groups ministry.
- 1997 - 1998: Pastor Dan Abbott came as a youth pastor.
- 1999 - 2001: Pastor Stan Braunberger served as interim pastor.
- 2001 - 2002: Pastor Lorne Gait.
- 2002 - 2003: Pastor Chris Geiger served as intern pastor. After his term was complete, continued to serve as a lay leader.
- 2002 - 2004: Pastor Gord Burton served as interim pastor.
- 2004 - 2008: Pastor Doug Connelly. Instrumental in bringing healing. Resigned to be closer to family in Hudson, Quebec.
- March 2009- Dec. 2009: Pastor Chris Kibble served as interim pastor.
- 2010 - November 2022: Pastor Darin Phillips. New Pastor, New Vision, New Focus, New Name.
- November 2022-Present: Interim Pastor Dwight Geiger. Oceanview Community Church searches for and prepares for a new, full time Pastor to come join us and lead our flock.
The rest of the story is still being written...